Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Same-Sex Marriage

I am so lit up right now, I wonder if I should even be blogging. For those of you who haven't heard of California's Proposition 8, let me enlighten you. The exact verbage of the proposed bill says,

"Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California."

What I'm so upset about is that the Mormon church is leading the crusade to pass this. Hello? Church and state.....two separate entities last time I checked! I keep getting church emails to attend meetings and rally's to support this discrimination.

The Church claims that this would be an attack on families, that same-sex marriages "aren't as good as traditional marriages". AREN'T AS GOOD AS?? That's a QUOTE, by the way. I am horrified at this blatant discrimination. I feel like we're back in the the 1960's, doing sit-ins and boycotts to fight the racists and bigots that do everything they can to impose their ideals on everyone else. This is no different than racism, sexism, or any kind of hate or discrimination. It frickin breaks my heart.

By the way, I used to be a Mormon. I don't say any of this with malice or ill will. I know it's a church full of people with good intentions who care deeply for their families. So why deny that joy to others???

Know this.....

There is a distinction between the governmental and religious meanings of marriage.

"Those of us opposing Prop 8 are not asking you to sanctify, bless or even approve of same-sex marriages. Instead, we are asking you to allow these couples to live in privacy and peace, with the same legal, financial, health care, and other rights to support each other as heterosexual couples do." Peter Stahl

This is a CIVIL RIGHTS issue. How can you seriously look your neighbor in the eye and tell them they can't have the same legal rights as you because they are different than you?

For my lovely Mormon friends reading this, Sheri Dew, in her book 'No Doubt About It' said," The adversary encourages us to criticize, judge, and evaluate each other - a practice demeaning to both the person who judges and the one who is judged."

Remember that when you go to the polls......

Please support EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL, and support NO on Prop 8. You can support it even if you aren't in California. Go to.....

https://secure.ga4.org/01/equalityforall