Wednesday, November 17, 2010

AIDS RIDE....from San Francisco to Los Angeles

So everyone thinks I'm a little crazy. I have to agree. I'm not a hardcore cyclist...in fact, I'm not a cyclist at all. The closest I've ever come to being a cyclist is my 6am spin classes with Marcus a few times a week. I don't have the clothes, the fancy shoes....I don't even have a road bike.

But when I decide to do something, logic or knowing the odds against me don't always factor in.

So I'll be hitting the streets on my mountain bike, running shoes, and loads of sunblock so I can begin to convince myself I'm really going to do this. This ride raises money to make a difference in the lives of people living with AIDS/HIV. It will be me and a few hundred of my friends making the ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles June 5-11th.

It will take a week. Its 545 miles. I might need to get my head checked. But at the end of the day, I am hoping to contribute to something much bigger than myself. And in doing so, I get to be challenged, tested, and maybe I'll even grow a little.

As I embark on training for such madness, I ask for your support. Know that giving, even if you don't think you can, is an opportunity for you grow a little yourself. Please help me support the LA Gay & Lesbian Center, and the SF AIDS Foundation by giving what you can. Your support, whether it be financial or words of encouragement, creates healing. And for those living with AIDS/HIV, healing is exactly what is needed.

You can make donations by going to this site: http://www.tofighthiv.org/site/TR/AIDSLIFECYCLE10/AIDSLifeCycleCenter?px=2573801&pg=personal&fr_id=1330

I will post training updates, thoughts, and experiences I have as I train on my blog. I invite you to follow me on this journey, and share your thoughts and support along the way.