Friday, June 5, 2009

High Maintenance

When did I become so high maintenance? One day, I opened my eyes, and suddenly....I was ridiculous. Let me break it down....

I used to be a tomboy to the tenth degree. Baggy pants, giant T-shirts, adidas or airwalks were my peddalers of choice. If it weren't for my giant boobies, you may have taken me for a dude.

Fast forward to my moving to Los Angeles, the land of make-believe and beautiful people. LA is also about a decade ahead of the rest of the country in the fashion world. Soon, my baggy, boyish clothes that were meant to hide my buxom body, were no longer acceptable. Bye-bye to the days of wearing pajamas to school and not only getting away with it, but being cool because of it. It didn't take long for my lovely friend D to hook me up with her Lane Bryant employee discount and a $150 gift card to replace my entire frumpy wardrobe.

Even after filtering in skirts, boots, and pretty knit sweaters.....I tucked those over-sized overalls that would give wiggle room to a 300 pound man away for a rainy fat day. Some things I was just not ready to let go of.

As time marched on, and small changes were being made in the wardrobe department of my life.... nothing changed much with my hair or make-up. Who has time for all that girly and primpy crap? Right?

Then I experienced a manicure and pedicure for the first time....and I fell in love. Despite my love for this new form of pampering, they remained special treats. Even still, this was as high as I climbed on the high-maintenance ladder.

Enter the era of 5 star standards. Working in Beverly Hills can be trip sometimes.... and even though you know how pretentious and silly it can be, you still don't want to be the schmoe with the bad hair and secondhand clothes....unless the label says Gucci.

In a fancy spa, where aestheticians have free time and you have a face that breaks out more than it ever did in adolescence, it gives you incentive to hit them up for facials. Thats exactly what started this avalanche of maintenance that got me here today. Facials make your skin glow and you feel like a pampered superstar.

The next item of business?? Waxing. Uuuuuh......I've always felt nervous about that. But now..... I'm a believer. It just makes things look nicer. :)

THEN....I went to the Kim Vo salon in our hotel (he's the super nice guy on TV all the time), and I requested a haircut. The colorist was horrified at all my gray hair, and in a matter of minutes, I was getting my hair colored and cut with a glass of champagne in my hand. Addicting? Absolutely!

Now keep in mind, these are all services that would normally cost me HUNDREDS of dollars for each thing....but trading services makes my world go 'round.

So I guess that means I'm a big girl now? Instead of throwing on whatever, using whatever, and shoving all my hair under a doo-rag......I get facials, get waxed in unmentionable places, get my hair done by celebrities-and-posse, and daydream as I get pampered with pedicures and massages.

What happened to me?

I guess I'm all grown up.

And now I can't imagine life any other way. :)