Thursday, July 2, 2009

Birthday Bash of the Year!


The much anticipated birthday bash of our favorite spa goddess was a HUUUUGE success!



It started out as an idea to have a little fiesta party, Mexican food....music. That was about it. Then it morphed into a much bigger animal, complete with Evites, fliers, and over 100 gorgeous, exotic balloons.

From the moment E and I got to her apartment to get everything started, it was nearly 3pm. The party started at 9pm, and frankly.....we needed more time. We had to finish the last few things as our guests were arriving. E was cooking up a storm, making the most delicious Mexican food you could dream of. Guacamole, taquitos, enchiladas, salsa, rice & beans...and I managed to make some yummy cookies and the birthday cake. I'm definitely a novice when it comes to decorating cakes, but how can you go wrong with chocolate cake and colorful sprinkles top to bottom?


While she was rockin' it in the kitchen, I was master decorator. I channeled my talented decorating mother as I strung streamers from every possible place, taping balloons to the walls, and tying the 100+ balloons to furniture to keep it from popping on the scratchy ceiling. It was gorgeous, if I do say so myself. How could it not with that many balloons?






Part of why I was so excited about these balloons is because it was the ONE request E had......balloons are her favorite. So my enterprising self managed to work out a deal with the balloon people, and for a delivery fee and two massages, had them brought straight to the house. I've never been so stoked. The look on E's face was priceless! She got so worked up, she managed to give herself a backache and forget what she was doing. (You'll understand when you look at this website! http://www.ballooncelebrations.com/)


Shockingly, people started showing up when the party was supposed to start....which doesn't happen in LA. Most folks are 1 to 1 1/2 hours late. Yeah, we had stragglers, too......but a LOT of people walked through the door at 9pm. Miraculously, the food was done, the ice was in the cooler....and we both managed to be showered and dressed.


That's when the alcohol began to flow.






We all became superstar dancers, rockin' AAAAALLL that our mommas gave us, and then some!



For whatever alcohol induced reason, I decided to take notice of E's lovely ceiling.



At one point, my mock boyfriend Michael and I were dancing, fell over, and his hand landed in the birthday cake. LOL. Fortunately, E had already blown out the candles. I remember being on a mission to find one of the only sober people at the entire party to carry the flaming cake. Candles, cake, and tequila don't exactly go hand in hand.


Everyone was dancing. Everyone was having an amazing time. Over 50 of our closest friends showed up. I didn't even know we KNEW that many people! It was incredible, and SO. MUCH. FUN!




When I woke in the morning, I was still in my party dress and lying next to a co-worker that wasn't there when I went to sleep (no, it's not what you're thinking). Somehow, I woke up with a bruised toe, a bruised forehead, and a minor headache. Shockingly....not much of a hangover. After 2hours of chillaxin...I was gooood.

I can't WAIT to do it again in December......when the big 3-0 comes along!! You're all invited! Happy Birthday to me! Tequila anyone?