Sunday, February 7, 2010

Finding my flow...

My first week of training was a success....minus one missed run due to my work schedule getting changed. I've been ridiculously sore, but I feel great, and I'm really proud of myself. This body shocks me at what I've been able to do.

I was surprised to find a "rhythm" while I was swimming. I've experienced this running, but swimming too? I've been floundering about in the pool for the last week plus, and finally.....there it was. I found my flow. It felt like I was swimming to music, like finding a beat and keeping on it....and simultaneously, the movement became easier. Perhaps this is what draws people to the water? Finding a peaceful place while your entire body is working hard. Fascinating. This will be me in no time...minus the manly bits.



The same happened to me when I was training for the marathon. You feel like you're dying at first, and then....easy street. I lost huge chunks of time, often looking around me and wondering how I got there. They say running can be meditative. I'm just glad I didn't meditate my happy behind right in front of a bus.


I also found that swimming could be great for stress relief. As I swam faster, I felt like I was punching the water, releasing all my aggression and stress. I guess I don't need to find a boxing class after all. Who knew?


Another turn of events came unexpectedly. I mentioned to one of my clients that I'd love to have a dog, and he told me about a place that rescues animals from abusive homes, or from the shelter before they're euthanized. I checked out the site, and fell in love with a little guy named Tiny. Check out this face.....




I'm going to meet him today, and I'm really excited about possibly growing my little family of one. Ever since I saw that face, I've been daydreaming about the adventures of Manderpants and Tinypants. Here's for hoping......